Up

Blake Gardens

Blake Gardens were officially opened in August 1902 by the Mayoress, Mrs T. W. Manchip, she performed the ceremony at the Dampiet Street entrance to the gardens with a golden key handed to her by Alderman Pollard. Later at the Old Taunton Road end of the Gardens, the Mayoress planted a commemoration oak - to grow as a 'living witness for generations'.

The gardens are in what used to be the grounds of the house where Admiral Blake was born.

Blake Gardens

Blake Gardens

Two and a half acres of gardens on the banks of the river Parrett and surrounding the library were purchased by the corporation from a Mr R.C. Else in 1898.

The Seal of the Municipal Corporation, founded in 1835, can be found on the garden gates at the Dampiet Street entrance, showing a castle on a bridge over a river

BlakeGardens1a.jpg (128818 bytes)

Garden for the blind and disabled was opened on 17th January 1985 by Councilor Mrs H.M. Ellis-Jones the Chairman of Sedgemoor District Council

 

Return to Top